Table of contents
Congratulations to all the staff and students who entered the snap photographic competition this year. We really enjoyed looking at the photos as well as and reading your artist statements about what being happy looks like in your local rural community!
Based upon the competition criteria, there was unanimous agreement about the three category winners for ‘Snap’. The winners were:
- Stage 1: ‘Running Race’ by Logan from Nashdale Public School
- Stage 2: ‘After the rain’ by Millie from Bourke Walgett School of Distance Education
- Stage 3: ‘Rain’ by Max from Bourke Walgett School of Distance Education
We are sure that the winners will be really happy when they receive their prize of an iPad Mini!
Snap Judging Team!
Monday, 20 October 2014
What was ‘snap happy!’?
Snap happy! is a photographic competition open to current students and staff in NSW DEC rural and remote schools. Snap happy! is hosted by the Rural and Distance Education Team. There was award categories for each school stage (1 – 6) as well as a category for school staff (Anyone who works at the school in a paid or voluntary capacity).
What was the entry process and criteria?
- Think about what does being happy look like in your local rural community?
- Snap your digital photos that really captures what it means to you to be happy in your rural community.
- Decide on your best photo. It must be a minimum of 3 megapixels.
- Fill in an authority to publish form. (If you are a student, don’t forget to get your parent / caregiver to sign it.)
- Write a short artist’s statement on your entry form about your best photo and what you were trying to capture.
- Submit your entry via email by no later 4pm, Friday, 19th September 2014.
Tips and tricks for taking a great photo
How do I know if my photo is 3 megapixels or larger
|Image size in pixels
|1,632 x 1,224||2.0||No|
|2,000 x 1,312||2.6||No|
|2,240 x 1,488||3.3||Yes|
|2,275 x 1,520||3.5||Yes|
|2,272 x 1,704||3.9||Yes|
|2,590 x 1,920||5.0||Yes|
|3,008 x 2,000||6.0||Yes|
|4,256 x 2,848||12.1||Yes|
|4,536 x 3,024||13.7||Yes|
|5,782 x 3,946||22.8||Yes|
- Examine the photos of award winning photographers such as Bill Frakes
- Curriculum ideas – Secondary Visual Arts
- Think about the advice from NSWDEC’s Communication and Engagement directorate
- Discover some example of useful resources on the web such as Kodak’s interactive resource