Table of contents
Every school in Australia has legal obligations and responsibilities under Federal legislation such as the Disability Standards for Education (2005) to ensure that all learners with or without a disability are able to participate in learning on the same basis. To ensure that all learners are able to participate in learning on the same basis may involve the school taking reasonable steps to ensure that any adjustment required are made within a reasonable time. Outlined below are links to simple strategies to follow for creating accessibile digital resources including using Microsoft Office and Office equivalent applications.
- Accessible Digital Office Document (ADOD) Project
- George Mason University
- Microsoft’s Creating accessible Word documents
Accessible Digital Office Document (ADOD) Project.
The links are part of the Accessible Digital Office Document (ADOD) Project. This project was developed by the Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University as part of an EnAbling Change Partnership project with the Government of Ontario and UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
Word Processing Applications
- Microsoft Word 2011:Mac | Translations: NL
- Microsoft Word 2010 | Translations: NL
- Microsoft Word 2008:Mac
- Microsoft Word 2007
- Microsoft Word 2003
- Google docs: Document (Feb 2011)
- iWork Pages ’09
- OpenOffice Writer (v3.4) and LibreOffice Writer (v188.8.131.52)
- Corel WordPerfect X5
- Microsoft Excel 2010
- Microsoft Excel 2008:Mac
- Microsoft Excel 2007
- Microsoft Excel 2003
- Google docs: Spreadsheet (Feb 2011)
- iWork Numbers ’09
- OpenOffice Calc (v3.2)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2008:Mac
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2003
- Google docs: Presentation (Feb 2011)
- iWork Keynote ’09
- OpenOffice Impress (v3.2)
PDF Production Applications
George Mason University
The Assistive Technology Initiative (ATI) at George Mason University designed the Accessibility@Mason user manual to provide information and guidance for the creation and testing of e-learning materials (i.e., documents, websites, and videos), including step-by-step procedures for access and use.
Microsoft’s Creating accessible Word documents
This article written by the team at Microsoft offers guidance on ways to create Microsoft Word documents to make them more accessible to users with disabilities.