Table of contents
- 1 DE School News
- 2 DE Collegial Networks
- 3 Twitterspheric professional learning
- 4 Subscribe
“A person who feels appreciated will always do more than is expected.” – Anon
DE Symposium Details
Date: Thursday 9 and Friday 10 August
Venue: Rydges World Square, Sydney
Audience: Distance Education and Access Program Schools – Executive and teachers P-12
Two keynote sessions
- Kelly-Ann Denton, Chief Visual Officer Imagineer.me; Academic National Arts School
- Professor Gerard Goggin, Acting Head of School, Australian Research Council Future and Fellow
Professor of Media and Communications
Twenty four workshops (combination of 30 minute, 60 minute and 90 minutes)
Sixteen Network Sessions
A program, detailing the sessions, will be provided to principals within the next few weeks for them to distribute to staff.
More information and details will be provided as they become available, such as:
- Registration process
- Support from schools for a video showcasing an initiative
Please contact any member of the planning team for more information.
- Kym Knight – DE Symposium Planning Coordinator, RDE State Office, 02 6334 8074
- Sharon Hodgson – DE Symposium Planning Coordinator, Southern Cross SODE, 66810300
- Jenny Ballhausen – Dubbo SODE, 02 5804 7000
- Daniel Elvy – NSW School of Languages, 02 9381 4800
- Sueanne Matthews – KDEC, 02 6210 5200
- Crystal Stanford – Peak Hill Central School, 02 6869 1304
- Martin Dickens – RDE State Office, 02 6334 8184
- Hedda Whifield, Southern Cross School of Distance Education, 02 6681 0300
- Kelly Pfeiffer, Dubbo School of Distance Education, 02 5804 7000
DE School News
Executive Appointment at Southern Cross SODE
Our congratulations to Sharon Hodgson who has been appointed as Deputy Principal at Southern Cross SODE. Sharon has worked in two distance education settings and has extensive experience and knowledge having worked as a Visual Arts teacher and Head Teacher. Sharon is an innovative practitioner who enjoys collaborating with her colleagues. She has led a number of DE Collegial Networks, coordinated professional learning (eg: DE Symposiums) and has engaged in and led initiatives that have influenced change in practice for many colleagues, including “Flipped Classroom” and project based learning.
We wish Sharon all the best in her new role as Deputy Principal and thank her for being a critical member of the 2018 DE Symposium Planning Team.
Southern Cross School of Distance Education News
In this May issue of the Southern Cross SODE newsletter you will read articles about:
- Secondary Science
- Primary Science
- Primary Campus news
- Secondary Dance news
- Secondary Language news
- Defence force visit, Careers Expo information and school/community events.
The students at BWSODE are working on How2Learn with teachers engaging in the “Growth Mindset” professional development. Every three weeks the school focusses on a new habit through their Morning Messages, satellite lessons, phone conferences and at the school’s Integration Days. Right now they are focusing on the Social habits – ‘Reciprocity’.
The habit previously studied was empathy.
Camden Haven HS Distance Education Success Story
She may be young, but she’s an entrepreneur….. 16 year old Chloe Goodwin discovered a true passion for poultry (and there’s a funny tale as to how). But, now she has a successful fledgling business breeding layers, show birds and producing eggs. Here’s her story….
The distance education teachers and students gathered to create a collaborative artwork in the form of a mosaic memorial that will commemorate the Queanbeyan Distance Education Centre. Read here for more information about their activities.
DE Collegial Networks
TAS DE Collegial Network News
At the last TAS DE Collegial Network meeting the network discussed the following:
- Meeting times: – twice a term – Wednesdays, Week 2 and Week 8
- Key aim: – development of resources with an agreed Key Focus for all DEs to share
- Sharing: – on Google Docs, format and platform discussions
- Key focus areas 2018: – Technology Mandatory and Design and Technology Stage 6
- DE Symposium: – activities
For more information please contact network coordinator Therese Metzl at Sydney DEHS on 02 9383 0200.
Special Education DE Collegial Network News
Network coordinator, Nancy McAndrews has been communicating with network members regarding:
- Stage 6 Life Skills – writing and resource development and sharing
- DE Symposium Network Session (9 August from 2:00-5:00pm) – ideas for agenda items
Please contact Nancy at Southern Cross SODE on 02 6681 0300 for more information.
Twitterspheric professional learning
Twitter is a quick and easy tool for participating in and/ or building a Professional Learning Network. To learn more about using Twitter for professional learning, download the The Global Digital Citizen Foundation’s Twitter-Tastic Teacher’s Guide. Below are some of Twitter feeds we hope you find worthwhile! Why not tweet us about what other networks you would like us to highlight!
International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL)
Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership
International Society for Technology in Education
Universal design for Learning
Common Sense Education
Don’t miss out (or be delayed) in receiving the latest news. Just enter your email address and click on the subscribe button on the front of our site. Our newsletter is spam free email and you can opt out any time.