Table of contents
- 1 DE Symposium
- 6 Rural and Distance Education News
- 7 DE School News
- 8 DE Network News
- 9 Twitterspheric professional learning
- 10 Subscribe
“The best way to predict your future is to create it” – Abraham Lincoln
Date: Thursday 9 and Friday 10 August
Venue: Rydges World Square, Sydney
Audience: Distance Education and Access Program Schools – Executive and teachers P-12
DE Symposium Workshop EOI’s
We received over twenty EOI’s from teachers expressing interest in presenting a workshop at the DE Symposium. Thank you to the teachers who submitted an application.
The DE Symposium planning team, which is meeting on Tuesday 6 March, will contact the applicants within the next week to communicate the outcome of their application.
Watch this space
More information and details will be provided as they become available, such as:
- Registration process
- Symposium structure
- Support from schools for a video that showcases an initiative
- Collegial Network and workshop sessions
For more information, please contact any member of the planning team.
- Kym Knight – DE Symposium Planning Coordinator, RDE State Office, 02 6334 8074
- Sharon Hodgson – DE Symposium Planning Coordinator, Southern Cross SODE, 66810300
- Jenny Ballhausen – Dubbo SODE, 02 5804 7000
- Daniel Elvy – NSW School of Languages, 02 9381 4800
- Sueanne Matthews – KDEC, 02 6210 5200
- Crystal Stanford – Peak Hill Central School, 02 6869 1304
- Martin Dickens – RDE State Office, 02 6334 8184
Rural and Distance Education News
Enrolment Officers Meeting
Tuesday, week 5, the RDE team met with the DE School’s Enrolment Officers’ to discuss matters pertaining to their work enrolling students.
The meeting, chaired by David McLeod Coordinator RDE, addressed:
- new enrolment procedures 2018
- Single course enrolments, and
- general issues and concerns.
For more information please contact David McLeod on 63348062.
Distance Education Support Unit Placement Panel
The DESU Placement Panel meeting was conducted on Thursday 1 March at Macquarie Park School Education Office. The panel consisting of Sue McGrath (PEO Macquarie Park), Kylie Walsh (PEO Tamworth), Fiona BAKER (PEO Ultimo) Jo-Anne Gardener and Sian Watkins (DESU), Kimberely Hill and Mike Tom (RDE) was chaired by David McLeod. The panel meets once a term to determne placements at DESU.
Please contact Kimberely Hill, Advisor RDE, on 63348065.
DE School News
Staff and students at Southern Cross SODE have begun the new year, like all schools, with a range of activities to engage their students. Issue 2 of the school’s newsletter outlines some of their upcoming activities.
DE Network News
DE Music Collegial Network News
The DE Music Collegial Network is conducting a conference from the 3-5 April in Goonellabah. The conference brings together 5 different DE Centres in order to:
- strengthen and sustain mutual awareness, collegiality and support for teaching music in DE,
- bring together a wide variety of international and national professional musicians,
- develop the expertise of the network members in the syllabus strands: performance, musicology, composition and listening,
- create, share and review resources currently in use in delivering DE programs, and to
- update knowledge of the syllabus requirements and best teaching practices.
The network members are excited to offer this year’s State Distance Education Music Teachers’ Annual Conference via MyPL. This means the teachers attending the conference can gain 16 valuable registered hours for your professional learning requirements (as required by NESA for the Maintenance of Proficient Teacher).
For more information please contact Network Coordinator, Sharon Mwanza, at Southern Cross SODE on 66810300.
DE Collegial Network meeting
The coordinators of the DE Collegial networks are meeting with Kym Knight, RDE Project Officer, on Wednesday 7 March at Sydney DEHS. The meeting agenda will cover the following items:
- Purpose and History of DE
- DE Collegial Network Processes and Protocols
- DE Symposium planning progress
- Network Projects and Updates
- Networking and Tools for Collaboration
- User Experience
- Supervisors Document, and
- futher planning
Kym Knight, Project Officer with RDE, can be contacted for further information. Kym’s number is 63348074.
Twitter is a quick and easy tool for participating in and/ or building a Professional Learning Network. To learn more about using twitter for professional learning, download the The Global Digital Citizen Foundation’s Twitter-Tastic Teacher’s Guide. Below are some of Twitter feeds we hope you find worthwhile! Why not tweet us about what other networks you would like us to highlight!
International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL)
Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership
International Society for Technology in Education
Universal design for Learning
Common Sense Education