Table of contents
- 1 AADES Update
- 2 DE School News
- 3 DE Network News
- 4 DoE Curriculum News
- 5 Twitterspheric professional learning
- 6 Subscribe
“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – Japanese Proverb
AADES is holding its AGM on Friday 10 March at 9am (AWST). Details of the meeting and how to attend can be viewed here.
Later this term AADES will be launching a new website with regularly updated news, information and resources from across the jurisdictions.
The biennial AADES Conference will be held in Adelaide from 16 – 18 August. These conferences are a unique opportunity to share best practice and ideas from across the Australasian distance education schools. Please start thinking about what you and your team may be able to share as workshop proposals will be called for soon. The keynotes so far are:
- Lee Watanabe Crockett https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/lee-watanabe-crockett
- Martin Westwell http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/archive/Pages/westwell.aspx
Please contact Daniel Rattigan, Deputy Principal, Sydney DEHS on 02 93830304, for more information.
DE School News
DE Schools Websites
View below for information about the schools.
- Camden Have High School: www.camdenhave-h.schools.nsw.edu.au
- Karabar High School: www.karabarhigh.com.au
- NSW School of Languages (Open High School): http://www.nswschoollang.schools.nsw.edu.au/
- Southern Cross School K-12: www.sthcrosssc-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/
- Sydney Distance Education High School: www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/
- Sir Eric Woodward Memorial School (Distance Education Special Unit): www.sirericwoodwardschool.com.au
- Dubbo School of Distance Education: www.dubbo-d-schools.nsw.edu.au
- Bourke Walgett School of Distance Education: www.bourkewalg-d-schools.nsw.edu.au
- School of the Air: www.schoolair-p.schools.nsw.edu.au
- School of the Air – Hay Campus: http://www.hayp-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/
- North East Public School of Distance Education: www.nepsode.org.au
- Queanbeyan Distance Education Centre: http://www.queanbeyap-d.schools.nsw.edu.au
- Sydney Distance Education Primary School: www.sdeps.net/
DE Network News
More about DE Special Education Collegial Network meeting in Term 2
The planning for the meeting being held next term is coming along nicely with agenda items being firmed up and guest speakers being booked.
The meeting is being held in Ballina at the Ballina Campus of Southern Cross Distance Education on Thursday and Friday 11 & 12 May.
Possible agenda items are:
- Marina Laing from NESA – talk about new syllabuses, particularly Stage 6, to assist with writing new Life Skills courses
- Aboriginal Programs information session
- Mindfulness & Well Being session – ZEN
- LaST session
- CAPA session
- Network sharing and planning; problem solving;
Please contact Coordinators Sally Xexenis (0293830449) or Nancy McAndrew (0266187686) for further information.
History DE Collegial Network Update
This year is going to be a busy one for all History teachers with the implementation of new curriculum, with the implementation timeframe remaining as it was previously announced, which is:
– Year 11 (Preliminary) course to implemented from Term 1 2018
– Year 12 (HSC) course to implemented from Term 4 2018
Katie Magriplis, Network Coordinator and the network members will be looking at the new syllabuses to determine which materials are already available for use/adaptation.
Their priority will initially be Year 11, but to ensure a collaboratively developed scope and sequence that supports students across Year 11 and 12 course content, they will target the Year 11 and 12 content for development and writing at the same time.
Katiehas organised a VC meeting, on Wednesday 15th March at 10.30am, for the network members to meet and further discuss the implementation timelines and development of resources.
For more information please contact Katie Magriplis, Network coordinator, at Southern Cross School Distance Education on (02) 6681 0398.
DoE Curriculum News
English Stage 6
The Stage 6 syllabus is now available to download in PDFs at https://syllabus.bostes.nsw.edu.au/download/
Prescriptions should be available late this term or early next term.
For further information please contact Prue Greene, English Advisor 7-12, Secondary Education, Learning and Teaching Directorate, on (02) 9266 8148.
Twitter is a quick and easy tool for participating in and/ or building a Professional Learning Network. To learn more about using twitter for professional learning, download the The Global Digital Citizen Foundation’s Twitter-Tastic Teacher’s Guide. Below are some of Twitter feeds we hope you find worthwhile! Why not tweet us about what other networks you would like us to highlight!