Table of contents
- 1 Welcome back to the new school year
- 2 DE School News
- 3 DE Network News
- 4 Department of Education State Office
- 5 Twitterspheric professional learning
- 6 Subscribe
“Give the world your best, and the best will come back to you” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Welcome back to the new school year
The team at Bathurst State Office extend their best wishes for a successful year, one filled with success, happiness and fun.
Rural and Distance Education
The RDE team would like to introduce Kimberly Hill who is the new RDE Officer. Kimberly will be working with the Distance Education, Access and Rural and Remote schools managing a range of projects to assist schools in enhancing their student learning outcomes and teaching and learning. Kimberly can be contacted on 02 63348064.
What’s coming up!
DE Enrolment Officers Meeting
The DE Enrolment Officers meeting will be conducted on Tuesday, 7 March from 9:30am-10:30am via video conference. During the meeting David McLeod will provide an update on key changes to the Distance Education Enrolment Procedures 2017, highlight complex issues being currently experienced and seek feedback on elements of enrolment processes that may lead to improvements in the processes state wide .
Please contact Kimberly Hill if you would like to contribute agenda ideas to this meeting. Kimberly can be contacted on Kimberly.firstname.lastname@example.org.
DE School News
DE Students succeeding at their HSC
Congratulations to Dubbo SODE, 2016 Science students and their teachers who had a successful 2016 HSC with a total of five Band 6’s in Science.
Karelle Martin, full-time student from Wittitrin on the North Coat taught by Gerard Hart. She was a highly motivated student who attended two residential workshops and was a regular and active telephone lesson participant.
Isaak Ollinkoski, full-time student from Bellengra, North Coast taught by Don Bates. He was a very diligent student, who attended most residential workshops and performed exceptionally well in all assessment tasks.
Sophie Steel, vertical enrolment from Tooleybuc taught by Gerard Hart. She had two phone lessons a week, very active and willing participant who performed well in all assessment tasks. Being a vertical student she comfortably completed both the Year 11 and 12 course in the one academic year.
Ebony-Li Mahoney from Emmaville CS studied Biology with Deb Haesler. Ebony scored 94 in Biology. Ebony attended all Biology workshops at Dubbo School of Distance Education and had two visits to Emmaville for intensive Biology workshops. The Biology course was delivered through Moodle and taught via weekly video conferences and phone lessons. Ebony regularly had additional lessons to support her learning.
The student who achieved a Band 6 in HSC Physics this year is Ryan Hopson. He was a single course student from Oberon High School. He was a very enthusiastic student who recognised when he needed correction including the development of his own summary. He made extensive use of Moodle and engaged well with practical work with a suitable level of emphasis on working scientifically. Ryan also made good use of the weeks leading up to the final HSC exam to ensure he was able to answer all types of HSC questions. Taught by Colin McKay.
Thank you Andreas Shepley, HT Science Dubbo SODE, for sharing this outstanding news.
Southern Cross Distance Education
Congratulations to Southern Cross DE staff who supported and guided their students to achieve great HSC results.
Brielle Bellamy, taught by Katie Grubb, achieved second in the state in the Chinese Beginners course.
Ashleigh Campbell (Inverell HS), taught by Sharon Mwanza, performed at the Opera House for Encore.
The Southern Cross students achieved 19 Band 6 and two E4 and 47 Band 5 reflecting a result of 28% of students with a result over 80. The teachers are rightly very proud to celebrate our successes.
Creating Successful Futures at Southern Cross
Southern Cross Distance Education teachers have an incredible year as they move towards autonomy in 2018. These are exciting times as the executive and teachers work together to create their setting for autonomy.
Staffing 2017 Update for Southern Cross
- Welcome L’Amour Gina-Whewell Head Teacher VET
- Congratulations Jason Ferns who will relieve as HT Mathematics and Computing
- Congratulations Garry Somerville who will relieve as HT Technology 0.2
- Congratulations Hedda Whitfield who will be Curriculum Coordinator
Greg Armstrong is Relieving Principal DE and is supported by three DPs; Sharon Hodgson, David Thick and John McVeigh.
The Leadership outline for SCSDE in 2017 is outlined below.
In 2017 Alan Orchard will be backfilling Janeen Silcock’s position as Principal Southern Cross K-12. His substantive Deputy Principal position will be covered by Gail Marchant.
Danny Henman will be Principal, Ballina High School on site here in 2017.
Josh Gollan, Cassie Middleton and John Parker will be Relieving Deputy Principals. The substantive appointments will roll out in 2017 for these positions.
DE Network News
DE Network Coordinators
Distance Education in NSW has a number of collegial networks where teachers work together for networking and professional learning and to create learning materials to share. If you would like to participate in a network please contact the appropriate network coordinator.
- Computing Studies: Eamon Gormley, Sydney DEHS. E: email@example.com
- TAS: Stephen Clayton, Southern Cross School. E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- History: Katie Magripils, Souther Cross School. E: Katie.email@example.com
- English: Leanne Wynne, Dubbo SODE. E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Education: Sally Xexenis, Sydney DEHS. E: xexenis, email@example.com.
- Mathematics: David Thick, Southern Cross School. E: David.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science: Helen Hamilton, Sydney DEHS. E: email@example.com
- Languages: Michelle Marotte, Camden Haven HS. E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Geography: Nicole Sykes, Southern Cross School. E: Nicole.email@example.com
- Aboriginal Education Studies: Sharon Keyte, Dubbo SODE. E: Sharon.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Legal Studies, Business Studies & Economics: Louise Woods, Dubbo SODE. E:Louise.email@example.com
- PDHPE: Matt Lott (SDHS) and Richard Mills (SX). E: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- DELITe (Project based learning): Tiff Cox, Southern Cross School. E: Tiffany.firstname.lastname@example.org
- GATS: Hedda Whitfield, Southern Cross School. E: email@example.com
- Primary: Samantha Davies and Julie Baldwin, Broken Hill SOTA. E: Samantha.firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- DE Pre Schools: Kylie Green, Broken Hill SOTA. E: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information please contact Kym Knight on 63348074 and email@example.com.
Department of Education State Office
Secondary Education Directorate Contact details
Contact details for state office secondary KLA Advisors can be found here
Twitter is a quick and easy tool for participating in and/ or building a Professional Learning Network. To learn more about using twitter for professional learning, download the The Global Digital Citizen Foundation’s Twitter-Tastic Teacher’s Guide. Below are some of Twitter feeds we hope you find worthwhile! Why not tweet us about what other networks you would like us to highlight!