Inclusion and the power of participation

Published on: Author: Greg Alchin

Ethan OchThis is an inspiring story. It about inclusion and the power of participation.

“A child tried to quit band, teacher had other plans. As his body weakened from a muscle disease, young Ethan knew the time had come. He told his music teacher he’d have to give up his favourite school activity. “I was lagging behind,” says Ethan. “And they were going ahead and there was no way for me to catch up with them.”
His teacher, Gina Christopherson, remembers the day Ethan broke the news. “He said I really hate to do this, but I have to quit band.”
If Ethan expected to ride his wheelchair into the band sunset, he picked the wrong director. “I don’t believe in ‘I can’t,'” says Mrs. Christopherson.Today Ethan is back in the percussion section, drumming on an iPad hooked to an amplifier. “He’s part of the team. You don’t leave somebody behind”
This story was originally published on USA Today. Ethan’s journey with the support of his teacher Gina, resonates globally.  Here in NSW such stories align with what we strive to achieve with Every Student, Every School.