The successful use of any technology to support learning and teaching involves some form of IT planning and management. Some of the questions to be considered are:
- Who will own and manage the devices?
- Who will own and install apps onto the devices?
- How will device settings be configured and updated?
- How will the devices connect to the school’s wifi?
- What is the size and layout of the wifi system?
Whilst school’s should develop and manage the IT policy and professional learning, it is recommended that the technical management be undertaken by trained personnel. This may be a school based technology support officer or outsourced to a local company. Most importantly, let teachers teach.
Some things to consider
- Consult with your local IT staff about mapping out the size and layout of your wifi network to support your current and future needs
- Buy apps and interactive books at discounted prices by enrolling in the Volume Purchase Program.
If the school owns the devices how will they be stored, moved, charged and synced? Some examples of syncing cases are: